Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day

Yay! May is here. As I mentioned, it's always a busy month for me, but it's also my favorite. Here is a list of some great things to do and ways to celebrate in May...



1. Eat more berries. Strawberry season in California has already begun. Blueberry, blackberry, and boysenberry season starts around May 15th. Berries are full of phytochemicals and antioxidants, and are especially delicious when they come from local organic sources. So eat up while you can!

2. Be nice to your Mom, and take her to Flora Grubb. This is one of my favorite places to spend a weekday morning in the city. It is the most stunning nursery/store I have ever been to, and they have a Ritual Coffee bar inside. Two weeks ago, Nick and I went to a Saturday morning talk about edible plants that grow well in the bay area. On Mother's Day, they are having a talk about "slow flower". Go here for more information. So buy your mom a cup of coffee, and enjoy their fancy patio furniture together. If your Ma doesn't live near by, no worries. It's great place to buy her a gift. They will even ship some of their plants right to her door.

3. Treat yourself to some Harvey Milk and Honey ice cream at Humphry Slocombe in honor of Harvey Milk's Birthday and the Milk Club's anniversary.

4. Join Lisa's 2nd-Hand Pledge! She is only buying second hand clothing from May 1st to October 1st, and she's asking YOU to join her!

5. Celebrate the Golden Gate Bridge's 75th Birthday! Watch the firework display over the bridge on May 27th, or paint your nails International Orange as a tribute.

2 comments:

  1. I love berries SOOOO much! I miss the berry stands in Oregon, you know how hard they are to get down here :) I'm so excited to have you join in and thanks for including the pledge! Happy birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I love that there are berry patches here where you can pick your own! Something we missed out on living in AZ. xo

      Delete